Frequently asked questions for those seeking a Military Academy nomination.
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- Apply directly to the Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday*
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 22nd Congressional District of Florida.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
*Candidates applying to the Merchant Marine Academy can apply up to their 25th birthday.
Who do I contact to request an application?
Contact my office at (561) 998-9045 to request a nomination packet.
When do I apply for a nomination?
My nomination application period opens May 15th of each year for those candidates who are high school juniors and will be seniors the following school year, or who have already graduated.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
All parts of the nomination packet must be received by our Boca Raton office by 5 PM EST on October 31. Your application is considered complete when the application and all of the materials requested have been received by our Boca Raton office. Please note that mailing your packet to our D.C. office will drastically delay the handling of your application and may cause you to miss the deadline. You are responsible for ensuring all of your materials have been received by the deadline.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Completed application
- Current photo (with your name written on the back)
- 3 letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes with signatures across the seal on the back
- Contact information for the people writing the letters of recommendation
- A personal statement in no more than 500 words explaining why you wish to attend a service academy
- A personal statement written in no more than 500 words describing attributes that would make you successful at your desired service academy
- Official high school, junior college, or college transcripts
- SAT or ACT test scores sent to our Boca Raton office from the testing facility. When you take the SAT, please use the code 5673 to report the scores to us. For the ACT, please use the code 7342
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in November.
What criteria is used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Some of the people applicants typically seek recommendations from include:
- Scout Leaders
I do not require a specific recommendation form. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.